Board logo

標題: Any LYK used to live in UK? [打印本頁]

作者: mucc1928    時間: 2010-9-9 02:24     標題: Any LYK used to live in UK?

Hello everyone, I am currently in Lonond, UK.

UK is completely the opposite what I have imagined, and the image portrayed in the movie is very very far from the reality.  The country is so old, and people are proud to live in a very old house (houses that are like the council houses in Hong Kong).

The road is narrow, curly, and I was having so much trouble to find road names.  Unlike America, the placement of the road names is not standardized.  It could be on the building, on the ground, or could be a corner without any name plate.

Some tubes(subways) do not have air conditioning, and I was standing next to a fat sweaty guy when I first arrived.   It was not a pleasant expereince, but again, UK is much more retro than I thought.

Anyways, I am job searching in the field of graphic/music/financial here, but I don't have much luck.

Since I haven't posted things here for awhile, I decide to drop by.  

I miss the clean air and nice weather in Vancouver!
作者: tiffiant    時間: 2010-9-9 08:03

good luck in uk
you should take some pics for us to see
作者: Catpiano    時間: 2010-9-9 08:25

Lonond? do u mean London? ( sorry, we dont know too many cities in UK )

Good for you! nice place, lots of fun, lots of shopping, (cheap now, with weak pound)

House price is high there, however, not much different with Vancouver now, (say compare to downtown Van) but OLD OLD OLD .. ( like it or not )

By the way, how come you are moving there? some relatives there?

Everything from England, used to be very expensive compare to Canada, but not anymore .. (If electronic, then still high price)

Good luck for job hunting .. again, used to be better pay in England .. but not anymore ..
作者: Lik    時間: 2010-9-9 09:10

Do us proud and mix some UK chicks la. British accent is the best! (But Welsh, Scottish, and Irish accents are super difficult to understand at first... )

If you have time, go off to the countryside la. You'll feel like you've been transported back into the old children's book and fairy tales.

-Lik
作者: mukmuk2    時間: 2010-9-9 09:16

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
作者: fibbi    時間: 2010-9-9 10:48

回復 1# mucc1928


    That's why the roads in HK are also curly and not as organized la...
But imagine the city was developed years ago...versus NA cities which are developed in much later years...of course "the newer the better" la.

Yeah...UK is pretty expensive city...when I see banana is 0.99pound per pound in costco-like store...

And plz share more experience la...it's interesting to see more local lifestyle of UK.
作者: Catpiano    時間: 2010-9-9 11:08

Fibbi ..

I dont agree la..  even the road in UK/HK are more curly .. ( they hv to .. more mountain, and LESS space)

But by FAR .. smarter then here ..   Stupid Stupid .. Stupid ..

I think roads in USA are the best ..  not Canada.
作者: 大C姐    時間: 2010-9-9 11:14

我之前講過﹐我連去london玩都唔係好願意﹐莫講話住。我去都係探親朋戚友﹐或者layover去其他地方。

尤其發生過爆炸之後london市中心係無垃拾桶﹐所以係超污糟同亂。你遊客心態車出車入還OK﹐但係真係日日逼個underground真係囉命。我係完全想象唔到handicap點落到去搭車囉。

不過英國不嬲出名舊﹐唔應該surprise掛?

作者: fibbi    時間: 2010-9-9 11:14

回復 7# Catpiano


    really? but even more mountain (like west van?), the road can still be "grid"-like ..
here...the road sign is stupid...the road...i think it's ok wor...

btw, even though the road is more curly...but still easy to remember wor....lots of building/landmark...i don't feel like getting lost when I'm in Cambridge/London by myself...
作者: 大C姐    時間: 2010-9-9 11:17

英國D路係就D樓﹐D樓係永世都唔坼。所以D路根本唔係俾你現代人行車﹐係build for幾百年前D馬車行。

作者: fibbi    時間: 2010-9-9 11:18

回復 8# 大C姐


    去過london個underground,真係會好appreciate HK個MTR
不過我聽講法國嗰個metro仲scary。。。
但係啲嘢係幾十年前起嘅,梗係舊啲架啦。
作者: samsung    時間: 2010-9-9 11:53

Yes, been there a few times... I like it
作者: 大C姐    時間: 2010-9-9 12:12

回復  大C姐


    去過london個underground,真係會好appreciate HK個MTR
不過我聽講法國嗰個metro仲scar ...
fibbi 發表於 2010-9-9 11:18



    唔係啵﹐我覺得paris還可以﹐我覺得無咁逼無london咁多人。同埋londonD站大D﹐行好耐先到月台。成條路又窄又局又熱。真係好愛香港個港跌囉。我覺得全球數一數二先進。

作者: CWong    時間: 2010-9-9 12:24

waiting you back to Vancouver la!
作者: fibbi    時間: 2010-9-9 15:10

回復 13# 大C姐


    Paris' metro is less crowded but  very very old.
作者: tsumorichisato    時間: 2010-9-9 15:35

really hate the Paris Metro.......
作者: tiffiant    時間: 2010-9-9 19:39

hope i would see you back i vancouver
作者: Catpiano    時間: 2010-9-9 21:28

I actually dont mind their underground/Metro ..

Well, go there, just for shopping/eating/sight seeing gei jei ..   and for their nice weather too ..
作者: tiffiant    時間: 2010-9-9 22:01

how is the food there? expensive? clothing?
any good sightseeing?
作者: Icebaby    時間: 2010-9-9 23:07

住過幾個月 (親戚在倫敦)﹐自己幾鐘意那邊﹐因為方便去其他國家遊玩。
作者: mucc1928    時間: 2010-9-10 03:05

Woo, cannot believe there are so many people replying this thread!

First about, of course I tried to "communicate" with the blondes here!  They are much hotter and more in shape than the white americans.    Russian-heritage white girls are so cute and beautiful!  

Yeah, sometimes I tried to pick girls up by speaking broken French, and girls found that cute and opened up topics.  However, in London, 70% of people are not British.  THat is, they are like me who come here to look for works.  I have more French and Spanish friends than briitsh people.

The tube(subway) here is just horrible.  It is so dusty!  When I first arrived, I cannot stop sneezing in the tube.  I thought I caught a cold, but later on I found out it was the dust in the tunnel.  How do I know?  Everytime I returned to the ground, I took a tissue to clean my nose.  And guess what?  The tissue becomes grey!

Anyways, if London does not have a big music scene, I would never downgrade myself to live in such an old flat.  White people think their house as castle, so they would never tear down the old flats here.  

Job market...here...is much more competitive than in Vancouver.  You have to have network, or your CV would never be reviewd at all.  I was so disappointed that I could find any admin job in bank or music company......

Paris metro....the tunnel is much bigger and better than the British's, yet I was being mobbed twice by a group of romanians in the stations.  Luckily, I did not lose anything.  Other than that, I like Paris, as the modern part of Paris is quite Creative and impressive.




歡迎光臨 溫哥華老友記討論區 (http://loyaukee.com/forum/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2