返回列表 發帖
This is already a reduction of 10 cents compared to what was originally announced. IIRC, the government was looking to increase EI contributions by 15 cents per $100 income, but the economy recovered well enough that EI contributions only need to go up by 5 cent per $100.

Besides, if you haven't relied on EI for the last few years, shouldn't you be thankful that you have a secure job?

-Lik

TOP

Shouldn't people in HK be thankful that they weren't born in rural Africa then? Why do they still complain so much?

"Insurance" such as EI doesn't make sense because it punishes the winners to compensate the losers.
快樂牛郎 發表於 2010-10-1 09:41

People in HK are complaining because of the social injustice they face every single day. The rich are hoarding all the wealth while the poor have no chance at social mobility.


Being the compassionless extreme right wing conservative that you are, of course you do not believe in social justice nor safety nets. When the day comes where you got fired, couldn't find a job, and couldn't afford your meds, you'd be singing a different tone.


-Lik

TOP

I have exactly the same standards that I have for others for myself.  If i get fired, I don't expect to receive EI if I don't support it.  I support a natural selection process, so things like EI just artificially make those people survive who are unable to otherwise.
快樂牛郎 發表於 2010-10-1 14:50

True, and this is why I still have a certain level of respect for you. But that doesn't change the fact that you are a compassionless extreme right wing conservative elitist. More importantly, you don't really know if your attitude will change should you get laid off, get seriously ill, etc.

-Lik

TOP

You can surely say that now, but at the same time when you bash the government and the filthy rich, you also don't know whether you will do exactly the same thing when you are in their position.  You are just fighting for all those causes right now because you are part of the group that will benefit from the changes you want.
快樂牛郎 發表於 2010-10-1 15:40

所以呢個世界上有啲人我係極為敬佩嘅,例如毓民就係當中嘅表表者。毓民早年絕對發過大達,但係佢對社會同民主卻從來都無背棄過。而我自己亦一定唔會有你所講嘅問題,因為我知道自己永遠都唔會有發達嘅一日。

I kinda agree with 快樂牛郎. The way Canadian system works is that it promotes working less or even not working.

Say you make 10k more, you only get to keep 60% of it. Then why work hard?
Why not just collect EI? at least get back the portion you contributed!
yokult 發表於 2010-10-1 15:42

阿哥仔你就此言差矣喇~ 加拿大個 system 唔係 promote 叫人懶,而係叫人應該追求高質素同全面嘅生活。高質素生活並非只係物質上富裕咁簡單。就算你搵多多錢都好,你無時間洗、無時間享受生活、無時間、機會去同家人同朋友分享嘅話,咁又有咩用?

而你有能力嘅去搵得多啲錢嘅話,響同舟共濟嘅觀念之下自然就好應該負擔多啲來幫吓其他人。話晒呢個世界風水輪流轉,今日你幫人,他朝咪人哋幫返你囉。

-力

TOP

Whoa~ Working 2 hours more everyday will make you another $10k? That's a salary of $38/hr. I dunno about you, but I think a lot of people would be more than willing to do this.

(FYI, $38/hr works out to $70k/yr, assuming a minimal 35 hrs work week. If you work 40 hrs work weeks, you're at $80k. I dunno exactly what income percentile this level of income would place you, but the average Canadian only makes around $40k, if I am not mistaken. So even at $70k, that is already a very healthy salary. Also, I think the highest tax bracket comes in at around $70k+).

But hey, if you don't care to make that $38/hr, then I guess you must value your time more than that $38, and that's good!

-Lik

TOP

He could mean a pre-tax income of $10K, which comes to $20 an hour
快樂牛郎 發表於 2010-10-2 11:27

Oh crap, you're right. It should have been $19.something / hr. Must have had a brain fart when I did the math.

I hardly think prisons could be considered a top notch living environment, although in certain northern European countries, minor crimes that results in jail sentencing do send the criminals to minimal security prisons where the environment is not too different from regular society, and they report an extremely low rate of crime there to begin with. But with US prisons busting at its seams, prisons' living quarters are crowded and are definitely not a comfortable place to be. As long as basic human rights (food, shelter, security, etc.) are guaranteed, that is already quite enough.

We all know the law is not always just. And in certain countries, it happens far more often la.

-Lik

TOP

A top notch environment compared to the shxtholes they would be living in if they weren't in priso ...
快樂牛郎 發表於 2010-10-2 17:38

Again, the fact you state is entirely correct. However, what about the cost to society if the criminal is not locked up? If the criminal would result in $60k's worth of damages had he not been locked up, then society is saving $30k right there.

-Lik

TOP

The cost of execution could be minimal, but the repercussions could be quite serious.

China is the leading country in the world in terms of the number of executions performed, but people continue to lie, cheat, rob, etc. As a matter of fact, I think being sentenced to die so rather easily in China is part of the reason why serious crimes are so common. If getting caught in bank robbery can get you a death sentence already, why wouldn't you kill off a couple of people when you escape to ensure that you can run away?

In general, 治亂世 用重典 is an utterly poor policy, but that is what China is doing.

-Lik

TOP

返回列表