Under the microscope after surrendering a dozen goals in Boston, Luongo prepared for Friday night's game the same way he did for Game 7 of the first-round series against Chicago. He went for a solitary walk on the Stanley Park seawall.
"I don't know if they have any seawalls in Boston, but I'm going to look for that," he said. "I put my hoody on and my headphones, and I don't know if anybody said anything (to me). I can't hear. But I just focus on the journey and everything I need to do to be ready for the game and that's what gets me prepared."
Lapierre scored when Bieksa's shot from the right point intentionally sailed wide, bounced off the end boards and out around the other side where the Canuck centre was positioned. He snapped a quick shot that just barely trickled by Thomas and the fans at Rogers Arena, and undoubtedly all around the province, went crazy.
"I'm just trying to put it off the wall and hope it gets a bounce," Bieksa said. "Obviously, I'm not a geometry whiz so I didn't know exactly where, but I was hoping it would bounce somewhere near the front of the net. Behind the net, in front of the net, who cares. It bounced to our guy."
"I just think I'm lucky I had the chance to come play for this team," said Lapierre, who was acquired at the trade deadline.
Luongo drew laughter in his post-game media session when he was asked how difficult those bank shots off the end boards are for a goaltender.
"It's not hard if you're playing in the paint," Luongo said. "It's an easy save for me, but if you're wandering out and aggressive like he (Thomas) is, that's going to happen. He might make some saves that I won't, but in a case like that, we want to take advantage of a bounce like that and make sure we're in a good position to bury those."
Before Lapierre's goal, Thomas had kept Vancouver off the scoresheet for a stretch of 110 minutes and 42 seconds.
"It was a great hockey game," said Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault. "They weren't giving up anything. And the puck got across the line by a couple of inches. That's the game." |