返回列表 發帖

Sharing "Job jumping" experience

Today, I was 20 minutes late to work, and I felt really bad because I am usually 10 to 15 minutes late daily.Before I sat down, my manager told me to go into her room to have a talk.

"I just have to ask you, I heard all these rumors. Are you are looking for job elsewhere?", she asked.

I barely replied and said "Yes, I am."

She asked why, and I told her that I need to make enough money to support my family, I don't want to depend on the income I get from Stock Market to survive.  

"How was the job hunting?" she asked.

I said "Good, I am already at the 3rd Interview for Amazon Software Developer Engineer."

She was speechless for like 10 seconds and asked "Is that what you want? Do you want to be a programmer?"

I said, "Not sure, I like solving puzzles and work on algorithms which the Amazon job does.  But the main thing is that I need to work towards my goal.  One of the steps towards my goal is to make enough money to support family."

I let her know that Amazon is paying 115k/year for Engineer III.  Her face turned hopeless.  I had to comfort her to tell her that Engineer III is far from the position I am applying for, but that's something to work towards for.  

"I can see what we can do to have you stay.  How much would you like to have to stay?" she asked.

I said, "I am not sure, I don't have a number in my mind because I didn't prepare this conversation. I was offered 25% more but I didn't go."

"Wasn't 25% enough??" she was surprised.

I said "I like to work here and it's nearby my house, so I wanted to stay."

She said she needs time to digest the conversation.

-------------------------

1 hour later, she asked me to her room again and tell me that she talked to our IT Director, who talked to me few times in meeting and public about how much they appreciate my hard work and shook my hands, she said there is a programmer position in the company, and she already talked to their team and they are happy to have me there and the salary would be different.  She said they would not like let me leave the company, she would rather have me under other teams than lose me.

She said she is in talk with the other team's manager to find out the pay and will let me know, and asked me not to accept other job yet.  I said "Ok, no problem".  

I will see if this is just a trick to get me to stay for few more weeks for my critical project to be finished.
She didn't increase my salary after the 3 months probation.  My team lead felt so bad that he went talk to her to get me a raise after 5 months in, then she gave me 6% increase.

6 months I joined the company, I was nominated to the Employee Award two quarters in a row and I won the award on the second nomination.  I still don't get a raise after 1 year with the company.  What do they expect me to do?  They try to cheap out until problems arise.  I work 60 hours per week, I get calls on weekends, I handle multiple projects at the same time while doing Escalated tech support, and wake up in the middle of nights to solve issues.  They shouldn't take advantage of Asians, we work hard and we don't bark, but don't think of us as cheap hardworking labour.

Whatever raise they give me, I will just take it, but keep looking for better ones.  
I have another interview for another company that is paying 50% more than what I am getting while waiting for Amazon's response.
sunsiupak @ on.cc: Apple, 只要Show個Logo,屎都有人排隊買。

Good luck

TOP

嘩.... 我竟然睇晒....

你好強...
有能力就有價值, 有價值就有權力.

TOP

嘩.... 我竟然睇晒....

你好強...
ayako 發表於 2012-10-25 21:32



Not really.  I just switched to this IT career after 7 years of working in a restaurant, so I have to work harder to gain a spot in the industry.

TOP

How did your manager know you are looking for a job?

Honestly, take the next decent offer. I feel that they are just buying their time until you are done with your current project.

TOP

Not really.  I just switched to this IT career after 7 years of working in a restaurant, so I hav ...
Prelude 發表於 2012-10-25 21:46



咁我估你果七年一定係寒窗苦讀.... 一學滿師就進軍IT界創一番天下!!
加油呀~~!! 向理想恤髮!!

TOP

加油呀!!!
祝大家永遠快樂! ^^

TOP

本帖最後由 Prelude 於 2012-10-25 23:53 編輯
咁我估你果七年一定係寒窗苦讀.... 一學滿師就進軍IT界創一番天下!!
加油呀~~!! 向理想恤髮!! ...
ayako 發表於 2012-10-25 22:27



Actually, no,  I got the comp sci degree from sfu before the 7 years.
I just do some programming for fun sometimes during that 7 years.

TOP

How did your manager know you are looking for a job?

Honestly, take the next decent offer. I feel  ...
randommike 發表於 2012-10-25 22:19


Maybe taking calls during work or people have connections to people I send resume to.

I will try to send more resumes.  Good thing we have EI in Canada if they fire me, so I still have time to look for a job.

TOP

I will try to send more resumes.  Good thing we have EI in Canada if they fire me, so I still have time to look for a job.
Prelude 發表於 2012-10-25 23:50


If your company wants to gives you a raise in order to keep you, they wouldn't fire you. Curious why stayed in the restaurant for 7 years? Is it because the cash that you made in the restaurant is pretty close to the pay-cheque after tax in the current company?

TOP

返回列表